Yalelo is seeking a highly analytical, meticulous and hands-on Environmental and Social Officer with extensive experience in managing Environmental Social Management Systems.
Location: The role will be primarily based at the Yalelo farm in Siavonga but may require travel nationwide.
MAIN JOB PURPOSE:
Yalelo Zambia is a commercial aquaculture fish farm producing Nile Tilapia in Zambia and is part of the FirstWave Group of companies which implement an Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) that meets international best practice standards.
The Environmental and Social (E&S) Officer will be responsible for the overall implementation and maintenance of the Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) for the company. The position will afford an opportunity to implement both Group and Company policies and procedures as part of a class leading ESMS and discover opportunities for improving conditions on site. The ability to communicate well with a multidisciplinary workforce as well as authorities and external stakeholders is essential. The E&S Officer will report to the Group E&S Manager.
The Right-Fit candidate will:
- participate in driving and facilitating the implementation of a fit for purpose Environmental and Social Management System (ESMP) in line with:
- Managing the environmental permitting requirements, maintaining permits, licences, keeping them all up to date and providing reporting as required;
- Coordinate the overall implementation and maintenance of the Environmental and Social Management System ESMS) and the Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) to manage potential E&S risks and impacts and continually improve the sustainability of our operations;
- Managing E&S related regulatory requirements, including liaison with relevant national and local regulatory authorities;
- Ensure accurate, diligent and timely capture and filing of all community and other stakeholder engagement;
- Ensures that teams on site understand the applicable E&S policies, guidelines, protocols and standards required to manage social and environmental impacts and/or risks adequately and facilitate implementation through appropriate ESMS tools and mechanisms.
- Ensuring that on-site contractors are meeting the requisite standards
- Reports environmental incidents and non-conformance (spills, impacts, legal transgressions, etc.) as well as corrective and preventive actions taken via the ESMS reporting system and for submission to the Group E&S Manager. This includes investigation and formal incident investigation reports for all medium and major environmental incidents.
- Participating in monthly E&S Committee meetings.
- Reviewing SOP’s and updating them on a continuous basis
- Internal and external stakeholder engagement, inclusive of meeting participation and provision of subject matter expert direction and guidance where required.
- Ensuring that environmental signage and barriers are correctly placed and maintained.
- Initiation and project management of social projects
Our Environmental and Social Officer should have:
- A reputable qualification in either Science, Environmental Engineering or Environmental Studies, relevant to the professional duties to be undertaken.
- Industry Experience: at least 5 years’ work experience in identifying environmental/social risk and issues and developing mitigation measures to ensure compliance with good international industry practice.
- Excellent working knowledge of all Zambian E&S Legislation and regulations pertaining Environmental and Social aspects
- Trained in SHE Functions, Environmental Impact Assessment, Risk Assessment is an added advantage.
- Must have working knowledge and experience of OHS Act and Compensation for Occupational Injury and Disease Act, Environmental Legislation and other relevant legislation
- Knowledgeable about ISO 9001, ISO 14001:2015, ISO 45001; ISO22001:2018
- Ability to work well independently and in a team-based environment.
- Ability to work a schedule outside business hours and/or flexible shifts.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Honesty: Must always convey accurate data to management. Honesty is critical to help manage and problem solve any issues.
- Multi-tasking: Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and follow procedures exactly, every time.
- Communication: Demonstrate effective communication and professionalism at all levels. Must be able to effectively communicate in English (both written and verbal).
- Great Attendance: Must be able to maintain attendance (48 hours/week) and work with limited supervision.
- Judgment: Demonstrate professional judgment, relate all information and data to management. 100% accuracy expected and must be prepared to discuss any issues that deviate from normal laboratory procedures.
- Flexibility: Adapts to changing business needs, conditions and work responsibilities.
If this is YOU, Yalelo wants to hear from you today!!!